Hospitality: Practical Cake Craft
The Scottish hospitality industry is large, vibrant and growing. It employs a significant proportion of the nation’s workforce. Cake production is a part of this sector, and this course can be seen as a gateway to the hospitality industry.
The course aims to enable students to:
- acquire knowledge and understanding of methods of cake production
- develop knowledge and understanding of functional properties of ingredients used in cake production
- develop technical skills in cake baking
- develop technical and creative skills in cake finishing
- follow safe and hygienic working practices
- develop their knowledge and understanding of cake design and follow trends in cake production
- acquire and use organisational skills in the context of managing time and resources
Students should have a keen interest in cake decorating.
A background in Hospitality would be useful.
Students will be assessed over the course of the year.
At the end of the year, students will complete a final assessment which consists of two parts:
- Practical assessment (75%) where students will complete a planning exercise then create and decorate a cake suitable for a celebration
- Written exam (25%) which will assess content taught over the course of the year.
Students can progress to National 5 Skills for Work: Hospitality or National 5 Hospitality: Practical Cookery.